Friday 9 November 2018

Lost In The Woods




The Birch Polypore grows on rotting Birch . It's a magnificent looking thing .









I didn't what this was at the time  . Once I compared my photo it didn't take me long to find what I was looking at .I  read a very informative  piece about the chance discovery of a frozen mummified  bronze age man in the Italian Alps in 1991 . An autopsy revealed whipworm in his stomach . Further examination revealed the 5,000 year old bronze age corpse now named  'Otzi' had a lump of Birch Polypore tucked away in a leather strap and pouch worn around his neck  . This tree fungus was used in a number of ways by our ancestors . It could be used as a laxative , antiseptic and tonic  .Perhaps it's most important value was to allow people carry fire when moving camp or setting out on a long hunt . Birch Polypore will smoulder for hours  .






No comments:

Post a Comment